Understanding the Mind to eliminate Stress
- What: An Introduction to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- When: Third Saturday of the month
- Next Session: Saturday, March 19, 2016
- Focus: Introduction to Yoga Sutras of Patanjali; Definition of Yoga
(see below for more details)
- TIME: 2:00 – 4:00 PM
- LOCATION: 4000 Bearcat Way, Suite 104, Morrisville, NC 27560
- FEE: by voluntary donation
- To register: please fill out the registration form
- Audio recordings of previous sessions are available here
What was covered in the last session:
- Review of the definition of yoga and the five vrittis
- Concepts of Abhyasa (practice) and Vairagya (non-attachment) – sutras 1.12-1.16
- Obstacles to progress in yoga – sutras 1.30 – 1.32
Here is what I plan to cover in the upcoming session:
- Four attitudes to calm the mind – sutra 1.33 (guest speaker: Ramani)
- Intro to the eight limbs of yoga – sutras 2.28 – 2.34
- Focus on yamas and niyamas – sutras 2.35 – 2.45
Why study the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali?
Because, YSP is not just a manual on yoga philosophy, it is a manual on "life". A study of this manual will help us understand:
- How to live a life full of peace, harmony and fulfillment
- What is stress, what causes stress and how to manage stress
- How to achieve your maximum potential in life
- What is mind and how to understand its functioning
- What causes suffering and how can we prevent suffering
- How to keep the mind calm and peaceful in the face of adversity
- What is the goal of life and how to achieve that goal
- Does the practice of yoga only involve the practice of asana (physical postures) or is there more to this practice?
- What is self-realization
- … and much more …
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda (you can buy at amazon.com or you may try half.com for a low price used copy)
- The Science of Yoga by I. K. Taimni (free pdf download here)
Come join me for these introductory talks on the Yoga Sutras and see how its study can help you in all aspects of life listed above.
To register, fill out the Registration form, providing information in all the fields, and submit it online.
Please contact me if you have any questions.